San Leandro Teachers Assn. v. Governing Bd. (California Supreme Court, Case No. S156961) (Issued on 6/18/09)
The issue in this case was whether a school district can prohibit a union from using the district’s mail system to distribute political literature. The district asserted that it could prohibit political literature under Education Code section 7054, subdivision (a). The California Supreme Court agreed. The Court also held that such a rule did not violate the union’s right to access under EERA and did not violate the union’s first amendment rights.
Tim Yeung is a Partner with the law firm of Sloan Sakai Yeung & Wong LLP in Sacramento, California. He exclusively practices labor and employment law, with a particular focus on the public sector.
About Sloan Sakai Yeung & Wong LLPSloan Sakai Yeung & Wong LLP provides legal representation for cities, counties, school districts, universities, special districts, state agencies, and non-profit organizations in all areas of labor, employment, and general government law. Visit our website at sloansakai.com or call us at: 916.258.8800.
- Governor Signs AB 237: Mandates Continuation of Health Insurance for Striking Employees
- Board To Consider Changes To Expedited Case Processing Regulation
- Governor Signs SB 270: Authorizes Monetary Penalties for Violation of PECC
- Proposed Initiative Would Bar Public Sector Collective Bargaining
- PERB Cases Pending in the Courts of Appeal
Search This Site